I’m on Instagram!
The Good Stuff
- How To Make Goat Milk Paneer (and a few meditations on place and purpose)
- Best Little Whorehouse in Cairo
- Notes on Travelling in Fes, Morocco During the First Few Days of Ramadan
- (101 Things About Shanghai) Blind Massage Parlors
- Making You Jealous in Tangier, Morocco
- Helpful Household Tips from Chinese University Students
- A Totally Impractical Guide to Morocco: Casablanca!
- A Totally Impractical Expat Interview #2: Connie Hum of Connvoyage
Archive for July, 2010
We’ve been in Myanmar about two weeks now, travelling close to the ground (usually about 6 inches from the pavement when facing backwards on a trishaw) and grinding our way…
You can actually fly to Mandalay from Yangon for about $75US, so the romance of the road is somewhat lessened. After bouncing around the Mon State south east of Yangon…
1. Burmese script initially reminded me of the patterns woodbugs make when tunnelling into a two-by-four, then I decided it looked like binary code without the 1s, as seen through…
Obviously no one briefed the censors that I was coming. This site is one of the only things out there that isn’t blocked. Thank you for your trust, Junta. Appreciated….
One of the things about living in faraway lands that can be frustrating for a nerd like me is the frequently limited access to English books. In Turkey, they were…
One of the things I’ve noticed in my years of living elsewhere, is that multinational fast food places seem to try really hard to court their local markets by…
I’ve been stupidly busy this week, between finishing up my year’s marking (done!), trying to find brand new, unmarked, unfolded American dollars for our trip to Myanmar on Friday (the…
Last night around 10, my immune system decided it felt like inviting a cold around for a visit. Just as I was readying myself for what ought to have been…
I haven’t spoken much about my job here. I have another site for that; if you want to subject yourself to much rending of garments and gnashing of teeth you…